Sarel van der Merwe was seen in action in a American "Late Model" V8 monster on Tygerberg Raceway close to the N1 just outside of Cape Town on Saturday, 17 November 2012.
Short Biography of Sarel van der Merwe:
- 11 times SA raly champion
- 6 times SA race champion
- Winer of the 24 hours Daytone Race in 1984
- 7 times Le Mans participant
- Springbok clothes for Motorsport 1975 and 1994
- Protea clothes for Motorsport in 1997
- He received 3 state president awards for Motorsprot in 1977, 1980 and 1983
- Transcaal en EP Motorsport clothes.
- He was the 1st Motor Sportsman to receive the Motorsport Hall of Fame and Lifetime Achievement Award from Motorsport SA in 2001
- Sarel haas been busy with the Spirit of Africa 4x4 competition for the last 8 years.
- Sarel has published his book in 2012 - Supervan and I.
Only a few of the many cars which provided loads of entertainment. Interesting stories directly from Sarel about the cars, tracks and racers in Sarel's book SuperVan & I.